Friday, October 18, 2013

Day 18: Sportscasting


 :: THE MORE PARENTS INTERVENE THE MORE SIBLINGS FIGHT. AND THE BIGGER ROLE PARENTS ASSUME SETTLING ARGUMENTS, THE LESS CHANCE SIBLINGS HAVE TO LEARN HOW TO RESOLVE CONFLICTS FOR THEMSELVES.   ~ jane mersky leder

Sportscasting is a technique I haven't had a good go of yet, so I can't recommend it from personal experience, but it looks so promising!  It comes from Magda Gerber and her RIE (Resources for Infant Educarers) approach to childcare. It involves not getting involved in our children's conflicts, but observing and commenting to them what you see (without judgement), pausing to allow them to process, and make their own decision about how to move forward. You should be standing close enough to the action to step in if things start to get physical though.

Kate over at her Peaceful Parents, Confident Kids blog has a post on sportscasting that explains it well. I think I'm going to buy Your Self-Confident Baby by Magda Gerber as soon as I hit publish on this post so I can read up on the technique and give it more than a half arsed go (plus I just love to buy books!). With Mia getting more interactive it won't be too long before I'll need those skills.

Today: A travel day today as we headed home from a week in the city. Not too eventful. A few tears at bedtime with the over tiredness, but nothing too bad.

Mx

1 comment:

  1. I just had a read of the sportcasting post you linked to, it is quite interesting! I might have to give that a go at school and see what happens.

    ReplyDelete